Friday 8 June 2007

Finito!

Today I finished medical school! This morning was the last of the preparatory foundation lectures, and, after a lunch provided by the dean (with proper food and cakes and everything) I cleaned out my locker (read: stuffed my not-been-worn-for-at-least-3-years white coats into my rucksack and chucked out several ancient editions of the Times) and got back my £5 deposit, and bid farewell to the hospital which has been my home for the past nearly six years. It was a strange moment, all things considered. I'm really happy to finally be finished, but I'm a little sad to be leaving behind all things familiar. And the best doctors' mess in the country, so I'm told!!

Still can't really believe I'm leaving so soon...I'm moving to a city that I know like the back of my hand and yet I don't know anybody. I really hope the reputation that the medical students in Big City Infirmary have as being stuck up is not true! I know two guys who study there and neither of them are stuck up so maybe that bodes well!

I haven't heard ANYTHING from the good people at BCI, not a peep. No contract, no rota (though I wasn't expecting that quite yet), no confirmation letter, nothing about the shadowing week coming up. I'm going away on friday for a week in the sun and shadowing is supposed to start the day after I come back, so hopefully something will come before I leave or I'll have to get on the phone!

So yeah, the end of an era. The medics' grad ball is this sunday till tuesday, which I'm sure will provide a lot of madness - I'll share some tales when I get back, provided I'm in one piece!

No comments: