Wednesday 28 February 2007

Man, I am hating this latest essay-hoop that the med school are making us jump through...I left the basic science essay till last, thinking I would be able to spend more time on it, which I have been - I started it on monday, and it's due on friday, so I started a full 4 days earlier than usual.

Unfortunately, I had the bright idea of writing an essay on something I'm not very good at in the hope of understanding it better. Enter the dreaded acid-base balance. Septic patient in metabolic acidosis with dodgy arterial blood gases, and I have to write a 2000 word discussion on it. So far I have written 729 words. D'oh.

I kind of am understanding it better, but I'm so used to the last minute bashing-out of essays on wednesday/thursday nights (it sounds sloppy but I get B's so no criticising!) that I'm frustrated at the amount of work I'm having to do in order to understand enough to write one paragraph.

Tomorrow, I have 2 lectures, then a meeting with my group about an ATLS presentation we have to give on friday. Then in the evening my flatmates and I are having some people round for dinner, and bizarrely, without even offering, I have taken it upon myself to do the cooking. So tomorrow is going to be tight, and I forsee a late night getting this stupid essay done.

Oh, I can't wait for the time when essays will be a thing of the past and there are only 13-hour acute receiving shifts to worry about...

Procrastination time over, back to the grindstone.

No comments: