Monday 5 March 2007

ALL/AML/CML/CLL/HD/NHD..........OMG!!

Started a new block today, in paediatric haematology and oncology (colloquially known as paeds haem/onc). You'd think it would be really sad, all these kids with leukaemia and no hair...but actually, I didn't see a properly sick kid all day. The prognosis for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL), the most common cancer in childhood, is actually really good - over 90% of kids will achieve permanent remission.

Saw a few kids with other tumours - one had Hodgekin's disease (yes, what Delta Goodrem had!) and one had a Wilm's tumour (kidney thing) - but most had leukaemia.

I'm the only person on this block, which is a bit scary, and rather lonely...it also means I don't know how much I'm supposed to know - nothing to compare knowledge with. Also means I spend a lot of time sitting in clinics on my own waiting for stuff which could get a little tedious!

Today I left the hospital at 6pm which was a bit later than I would have liked...I don't have a timetable yet but hope I'll get the occasional afternoon off!

Apologies for the spraffy post, I am shattered, so I'm going to shut up now!

No comments: